Wednesday 16 November 2011

PUTTING THE SAINT INTO SAINT PANCRAS

I am not good with criticism. Overbearing, demanding and disciplinary parents took their toll on my psyche. More than once in my life I've been accused of being arrogant. The detractors had a point.
Yesterday I asked for some advice on a business venture from two people I very greatly respect. They gave it a mauling. Within that, there was a good deal of sound advice. It was hard for me to hear. I had to calm my childhood - formed sensitivities coming out of the meeting.
A calming routine of mine is to go all beatific. It works very well I've found at railway stations and shopping malls. The aim of the game is to bless all passers by. It only has one rule. No exceptions. It changes my energy greatly, and I often wonder if those who are unwittingly receiving blessings actually feel it, as the sense I get is that the blessing game is very reciprocal and that people who essentially have nothing to do with you are responding to you in a very different way. A fallacy? Perhaps.
But yesterday there was another piece of evidence that beatific energy bounces back towards you. For no good reason the American man singled me out for his enquiry. He was clearly extremely frazzled, panicking that he was about to miss the Eurostar.
"I - I - I've only got a few minutes" he said, "I haven't got a ticket. Help!"
He looked about him like a startled animal.
He had picked the right person. My beatific energy must have communicated itself in the calm reassurance I was able to offer him.
"Don't worry my friend. Go down there, past that shop" I indicated with my arm, "and you'll be OK I'm sure."
I watched him scurry off, luggage in disarray.
A deep calm descended on me. More good done. Another momentary saving of souls.
I turned away to continue my own journey, walked a few steps and saw in front of me the ticket office.
Oh yes.
The selfless act does you good.

No comments:

Post a Comment