Thursday 2 April 2009

UNCENSORED

Sometimes in the course of my coaching work, common thematics seem to arise through a number of sessions with widely different people. One at the moment is about wasting energy.
It was one of my brightest, most insightful, most surprising and certainly highest potential clients who indicated and clarified this thematic to me, and it has since applied to many of my interventions. He realised, he said, as a result of coaching, how much energy he was wasting in either trying to be, or telling himself he should be, someone he was not. By contracting with himself to fully be himself, glorious and uncensored, he was able to release that energy into his own confidence and performance. The results for him have been transformational.
I'd never really thought about this matter in terms of the effective use of energy. For me it had always been an article of faith, or perhaps simply a compulsion for myself. But I've found that this thematic emerges a great deal at present. And what is stark is how much energy it takes to angst the natural self and confuse it with what one "should" be. Some people live in a forest of shoulds. It's quite a dark place, and difficult there to see the wood for the trees.
I owe my now super-energetic client a vote of thanks.

2 comments:

  1. Particularly like this one Henry. Ties in very much with my Gurdjieff Work and how Qi is viewed in Oriental thinking. Most of what we experience as "our" life, is in fact a myriad number of "I's" vying for supremacy. To truly BE ourselves, even for a moment, is a demanding but liberating task. The wastage/leakage of energy is a very real and tangible phenomenon. It's a constant reminder to remember oneself. doug

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doug
    What a brilliant quote from you: "a constant reminder to remember oneself".
    Love it.

    Keep reading

    H

    ReplyDelete