Thursday 25 February 2010

HONEY I LEFT THE KIDS AT HOME

La Gomera is a great place. Few have even heard of it. It is largely unspoilt. and very easy to get to. That's where we've just taken a little family holiday. Now, I wouldn't want to be called a contrarian, but here's what I've observed. Small kids don't actually like holidays. We try and sell them to them, so we adults feel great about it. But my observation is that robbed of their normal routine, their normal weather, their friends, their normal diet, their normal playthings and their normal routine, they make the best of it rather than relish it. They like the idea of it, not the reality. There must come an age when you become an enthusiastic hloidymaker. But three isn't it. I'm seriously tempted to holiday only without the kids until this age is reached. And think of the savings!

2 comments:

  1. What makes you say 'there must be an age'? I'm still a reluctant holidaymaker at age 54. But then, probably still a child, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brian, I hope and believe very much you are still a child at heart. Why so reluctant a holidaymaker?

    ReplyDelete