Saturday 24 April 2010

PLACE YOUR X HERE


There's an election coming. Had you noticed? I had, and there is much to feel depressed about.
For a start, the prime ministerial candidates' TV debates are turning what could be a serious opportunity for the nation to engage in debate on political policy and system into a leadership cult of personality X factor.
Secondly, the policy differences are so minor, and so missing the point of people's political disengagement that, even on a more serious look at form than a paddock parade of the leaders' tie colours, the runners and riders look tired and self serving.
Trust is the issue, and none look trustworthy.
The intensification of the spinning and symbiotic relationship between government and the media since 1997 is at the core of this. Two dubious invasions and their casualties, the reasons for which are shrouded in lies, have knocked more nails in the coffin of trust. Finally, and in very recent memory, the revelations about MP's expenses have put the final stitch through the nose.
Politicians realise well that there is widespread disengagement with the political system in this country. Their so called radical ideas to fix it though just aren't. Rather, in the wake of the expenses scandal, they are sad attempts at self preservation. They miss the rather obvious point that fixing disengagement with the system means fixing the system. And since they are the system, the elected turkeys ain't voting for Christmas. Never mind fixing the House of Lords. What about fixing the House of Commons in a systemic sense? What about fixing an utter lack of participation in day to day government?
I doubt that I will be voting. People have said to me "if you don't vote, you have no right of complaint." Rubbish. If you go into a pie shop and there are beef pies, pork pies and chicken pies, you are perfectly entitled not to buy one. Especially if what you want is a vegetarian pie. Or a cake. Indeed, the chances of ever getting the pie you want are decreased not increased by buying what is already on offer. If no one voted, there'd be no legitimacy to the current system. On May 6th, make a democratic decision for change. Stay away from the polls. Dig your garden. Watch a film. Snuggle with your partner. Open a bottle of wine. Gaze with wonder at the moon. Don't vote.

3 comments:

  1. And watch those that fought for freedom and democracy turn in their graves......

    Alternatively you could agitate, become active and try to change things. But that never seems to appeal to the middle classes.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear HRD I wondered if this post would rattle you.
    And, though I disagree, I always value your comments.
    But I do disagree.
    If, by those who fought for freedom and democracy you mean the now elderly brigade of second world war servicemen and women, I doubt you will find much enthusiasm amongst them for the state of the parties and politics now.
    As they fought for freedom (a loose term), so they would recognise my freedom NOT to support any existing option.
    As they fought for democracy (though in fact it was not especially a currency then) I think they'd join me in distaste at its current state in Britain. The silver surfers amongst them would also probably join me in astonishment that, when the digital economy democratizes participation at all levels, governmental democracy seems utterly incapable of providing any participation whatsoever in the smug interests of self protection.
    As for agitation, I'm certainly not going to join some loony fringe group, and there are more than enough think tanks providing so called radical answers. Publishing my thoughts and ideas is agitation enough, together with joining the momentum towards disengagement that provides the spur for change!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a test to see whether "I am a valued voter" I sent the same e-mail to the local labour,cons and lib-dems. I was talking about local issues as well as the forward looking "what are you going to do different?" discussion.
    Suprisingly enough, I never got an answer from any of them. I join you in this distain and too will not be voting. They way I can summise my current quandry is, would you rather:
    - Get punched in the face
    - Kicked in the nuts
    - Given a dead-leg
    All are equally unpleasant, I think the only choice is whats worse? I think I prefer not to get hit at all! :)

    ReplyDelete