Thursday 16 December 2010

CONSUMMATE UNPROFESSIONAL

Once, when I had decided I had had enough of a client and had to resign their business, they said "I can't believe you are being so unprofessional."

I responded by saying, "as I have no intention of taking your money there is no requirement on me to be professional."

My aversion to professionalism runs deeper though. Professionalism is a form of self censorship which legitimizes failing to connect on any emotional level with others (and therefore be equipped to see and get the best of them). It acts as an inhibitor to creativity. And it creates a linguistic gap between an organization and its consumer and user base who are very definitely not professional in their views of what you, the organization are doing for and with them.

I used to work with a marvellous creative guy who wanted on his gravestone "unprofessional to the last."

That'll do for me too.

No comments:

Post a Comment