Sunday 24 June 2012

MY MANAGEMENT STYLE

On the whole I despise the idea of managing people.
As someone who sees work not only as a means of earning a humble crust, but also of self expression and creative fulfilment, I have expectations that others, in working for me, can and will exercise the same opportunities. This means that it is up to you to express yourself to whatever degree you want. You'll only get encouragement from me to do so. It means that the challenge of managing others for me is simply to encourage them to be themselves and then step back and let em be so. That, of course, to an extent, redefines job.
As someone who lives or dies by doing what they promise, I also expect that.
I believe strongly in self responsibility - doing what it says on the tin. More importantly, doing what you say you will, no matter what.
Not everyone gets it. Needy, "employee attitude" holders are unlikely to do so.
I don't care what time you come in.
I don't care what time you leave.
I don't much care what you do in between.
I don't believe in policies.
I don't believe in appraisals.
I don't believe in "development plans"
I don't believe in supervision.
I do believe in you and your ideas. Do you?
When there is an agreed output, you produce it.
No buts. No ifs. No excuses.
Do what you say.
Do it, even if it costs you.
Do it, at all costs.
If you don't, you won't be warned twice.

No comments:

Post a Comment