Tuesday 24 July 2012

JUST GIVING


Perhaps you give to charity. I do. Not, probably, what one would call huge sums, but a significant enough part of my earnings to feel I am doing something worthwhile. It’s a simple enough process: choose a charity I think is worthy; give to it.

I get irritated by all the justgiving requests I get.

Here are a few examples. A friend is climbing Mont Blanc for charity. Another friend is doing an epic walk in the Welsh mountains for charity. Other friends are running a marathon, a triathlon, a 10k a midnight adventure, all for charity.

Now these are all well and good, but my hypothesis is this: they aren’t doing it for charity. They are doing it because they want to.

I intend to test this hypothesis by offering a pound more than all the funds they have had pledged if they agree not to do it: not to climb that mountain, complete that hike, set off on that run.

This should sort the charitable men from the boys.

No comments:

Post a Comment