Thursday 29 June 2017

CAN'T PAY WON'T PAY

ME:  I've been referred to you about our unpaid invoice for cancellation charges.

PROCUREMENT MANAGER: Yes. It's outrageous.

ME: It isn't outrageous at all. I've had seven consultants all on standby to deliver your event and you've cancelled it within the period for which there are cancellation charges. Our proposal is quite clear on this.

PROCUREMENT MANAGER: It's an outrageous amount of money and we are getting no value from it.

ME: We stand ready to deliver the event.

PROCUREMENT MANAGER: That's irrelevant. We won't be doing the event and we won't be paying this invoice either.

ME: It's unfortunate then that I shall have to brief our lawyers.

PROCUREMENT MANAGER: ....................................................

ME: Before we end this call, can I ask you something?

PROCUREMENT MANAGER: What?

ME: Do you have a family?

PROCUREMENT MANAGER: A wife and two daughters, though I fail to see the relevance to our discussion.

ME: Here's the relevance. When you go home to your wife and two daughters this evening, I wonder if you will feel proud of this discussion?

PROCUREMENT MANAGER: No comment.

ME: Then I think you know what to do. (PUTS PHONE DOWN).

Denoument - a few days later, a cheque arrives.

No comments:

Post a Comment