Monday 8 June 2015

LUCKY HEATHER?

"Oh, you'd be good on a quiz team..."

With this came the pang of pain. Had I gone too far? Bragged? Shown off knowledge in an unwelcome way?

I go quiet, embarrassed, and fearful that I have made a gaffe.

I am chatting to someone about their holiday on Mull. I know the place and can bring it very readily to mind.

"We went on a boat rip round Ard.... Ard...."

"Ardnamurchan?" I suggest.

"Yes. That's it."

"A lovely place."

"Yes."

"When you sail beyond Ardnamurchan, tradition has it you put a sprig of heather in the boat's rigging."

"Ooh. You'd be good on a quiz team."

Awkward silence. I've gone too far. Or have I? The other week, I got feedback that I come over as manipulative by asking questions and not divulging information along with it. A worry. This week, I'm just a smart arse by doing the exact opposite.

I used to think I was skilled with people. Maybe the time has shifted somehow and its demands are no more what I thought. I'm getting it wrong.

I'll have to put some heather in my pocket, as I sail these unknown, and sometimes treacherous waters.

No comments:

Post a Comment